The Board of Management of the University in its meeting held on 02.07.2006 adopted a resolution to start a new Faculty in Physical Education with focus on Adapted Physical Education and Yoga at Ramakrishna Mission Vidyalaya, Coimbatore. For this purpose, the Faculty Centre for Disability Management and Special Education (FDMSE), and the Maruth College of Physical Education (MCPE), already functioning at Coimbatore,will collaborate with the new Faculty of General & Adapted Physical Education and Yoga (FGAPEdY).
The FDMSE & FGAPEdY is located in the Ramakrishna Mission Vidyalaya, Coimbatore, a major educational centre of the Ramakrishna Mission. The Vidyalaya is situated 19 kms from Coimbatore City on the highway to Ootacamund, and is set in a serene environment spread over nearly 300 acres. The Ramakrishna Mission Vidyalaya, Coimbatore, was started in 1930 with an investment of Rs. 5.75 and one harijan boy on its roll. Mahatma Gandhi, the Father of the Nation, laid the foundation stone of the Vidyalaya in 1934. The Vidyalaya was affiliated to the Ramakrishna Mission in January 1935. Over a period of more than 75 years, the Vidyalaya has grown into a comprehensive and reputed complex with 15 educational institutions training over 6250 students at any given time, offering them facilities for education ranging from the pre-school to the doctoral levels.
Last updated on March 1, 2011